Sunday, October 4, 2009

Baseball Bento Box

A bento box for the last Mariner baseball game of the season. It's huge. Plenty to share. I've never packed such a large bento box before and I got scared that I would run out of items. I kept filling and filling. There's so much in there that I'm sure it will last through the entire game and we'll munch on leftovers in the car while waiting to get out of the parking lot after the game. That's the worst part of sporting events I think, especially if we lose. Hopefully having some yummy snacks will tide us over until we can hit the freeway.
Inside this 2 tier box are salmon patties wrapped in lettuce, wasabi stuffed eggs, sauteed tofu with onions and garlic, sweet potatoes, inarizushi and edamame. I'm hoping that the edamame will keep me from buying peanuts. But I doubt it.


Here's how I made the wasabi stuffed eggs. Hard boil some eggs, cut in half, and scoop out the yolks into a separate bowl. (like deviled eggs). Mix the yolks with mayo (I like Kewpie), salt and wasabi paste. The measurements are flexible based on how many eggs are boiled and how much sting is wanted with the wasabi. After thoroughly mixing, refill the egg halves and stick them back together. It won't be exact and they will look a little lumpy, but it's okay because then they are wrapped nori. The nori part is optional but I like the way it tastes. That's it.

Here's a close up of the sweet potato slices with nori details.