Friday, October 9, 2009

While I was Shopping for New Bento Boxes...

Singapore Noodles with Seafood and Veggies Salt and Pepper Tofu
Moo Shu Veggies Gyoza

I got hungry and stopped in at Fu Lin Ramen shop where I met friends for dinner.

Fu Lin is a Chinese ramen shop. What does that mean? Chinese Ramen. Wasn't ramen brought to Japan from China anyway? Not sure, and it doesn't matter to me, because I'm hapa and I eat mixed-ethnicity foods everyday. So bring on the ambiguous noodles from Japan, served in Seattle by a Chinese cook!

In case there are new readers, there is a disclaimer. I'm vegetarian and have to rely on the presentation and the tastebuds of my very omnivorous friends to support my comments.

With that said, here's what we experienced.

The gyoza— recently made fresh, came with a very simple sauce. Served piping hot and crisp. In fact, when placed on the table I didn't even recognize what it was. Was it fried fish? Nope, it's the gyoza. See the cell phoned, slightly blurry, photo for further description. (why do I keep forgetting my camera?)

Ramen was still in the works. Two of my table mates ordered large steaming bowls of miso broth and sliced fatty pork. The consumers declared it's deliciousness and I believe them. The other a noodle dish was a perfect mix of seafood, Chinese veggies and crispy Singapore noodles. It was a huge mound of food, more than we needed, and if we had known, we would of skipped it. This was a large platter of food, easily enough for 4 people. Beverages included fresh-brewed green tea and water. A lemonade was ordered but there didn't seem to be anything special about it. "Plain old lemonade." Fu Lin also offers some very yummy stir fry including ma po tofu with pork and various fried items that could be found in any typical Chinese restaurant.

Some tantalizing appetizers like salt and pepper chicken or tofu and juicy pork buns are available too. I ordered the moo shu vegetables with 4 pancakes. It satisfied my hunger without risk to my vegetarian diet.

This was the perfect spot for food to go, and I took advantage by ordering some beef chow fun (dry) for Saba Man's bento box. So to the end this long story...here's today's featured bento.

Beef Chow Fun Bento Box