Friday, October 16, 2009

Samosa Bento Box


Today is Diwali, the Festival of Lights and to celebrate another culture, the Halloween decor is taking a short break from the bento box lunches. However, I really don't know how to cook Indian cuisine so decided to go ahead and buy some samosas for both dinner and tomorrow's bento lunches. Samosas work pretty well for bento boxes. Deep fried to a crisp; their thicker shell retains it's crunch a bit longer in a closed box. Come to think of it, I'll have to try packing samosas in a basket type box next time and compare results.

I also browsed my favorite deli counter at PCC Market where I found some yummy hijiki salad. It's a salad that is super easy to make, the recipe is in my head, and it won't take but a few minutes to "throw together". So, off I went wandering through the store to collect all the ingredients. It wasn't until I got to carrot display that I decided I wasn't up to the task. "All that peeling and chopping." Nah, let's skip it. No regrets. Let's just go ahead and purchase the ready-made salad. So after all that, I had to chuckle to myself. Why didn't I buy it at the start, before loading up the cart. Not only did I have to maneuver through a crowded store returning everything to their proper place, but now there's a wait at the deli counter. Of course when I got to the front of the line, I asked for another sample. Just to confirm that I made the right decision.


Happy Diwali Bento Box

Today's bento box features,along with the celebratory samosa and the ready-made hijiki salad, there is renkon, kiwi berries, sweet potato and yokan stars.