Saturday, October 10, 2009

New Bento Box Filler: Kiwi Berry

I think I'm in some sort of "Bento Box Rut". Not is the sense of boredom, it's more of wanting to taste different foods. Pack different items. Variety. This cute little berry is a nice distraction. The package names it "Kiwi Berry". Really? Is there such a thing as a kiwi berry? Are they grown in New Zealand and eaten by kiwi birds? Nope, turns out they are not that exotic. New and mysterious to me I am quite surprised, after an Internet check, that these were grown just south of me in Oregon. In fact, they can be grown right here in Washington! I don't know why I've never seen them before.

The size of a medium to large olive, perfect for filling the nooks and crannies of a bento box lunch. Before I committed, I asked the guy in charge of stacking apples, "What do these taste like?" "They taste just like kiwis", he said with a smile. So I bought some and ate one in the car on the way home. Ummm...No, they don't taste like kiwis, Mr. Produce Man! They taste better than kiwi and have a flavor of their own. Sweet and juicy, with a strange little after taste, similar to the white membrane that sticks to a badly peeled orange slice. I like them, good texture, green and red color. Oh, they do look like kiwis when sliced in half. Into the bento box they go. Packed with the kiwi berries, rice, mushrooms, kouya dofu, sweet potato, pickled ginger and cucumbers.


Magic Round Bento Box Strikes Again